On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Ben Scott <dragonh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Neil Joseph Schelly
> <n...@jenandneil.com> wrote:
>> I've got 3 analog tuners and no plans to pay for digital cable anytime soon.
>
>  Depending on what you want, you may not have to.  FCC rules say that
> the cable provider has to provide all the local broadcast signals at
> no additional cost.  That includes digital and high-definition.
>
>  When I got the CableCARD for my TiVo, there was no additional charge
> unless I also wanted the cable channels (e.g., CNN, Discovery, ESPN)
> in high-definition.
>
> -- Ben

Right.  The DTA converters are given to subscribers on request (up to
two per household).  Additional ones are charged.  Like Ben said, I
think you can also get a cablecard for no fee.

The DTA thingies bother me because it's one more thing you have to
plug in, that is always on, and you need another remote, that uses
another battery, and another receiver to place on top of your
set/furniture.  "Free" in this case means we pay for it in our service
fees (there is a lot of cost and overhead to implement this), and we
obviously pay for it in the above ways.

btw, at least in Newburyport, Comcast has been advertising this
heavily with automated calls, mailings, newspaper ads.  Today they
even called me live.  In the process, they are also shifting some of
the lineup (emphasizing the new channels you get, not the ones they're
removing).

Greg Rundlett
Web Developer - Initiative in Innovative Computing
http://iic.harvard.edu
camb 617-384-5872
nbpt 978-225-8302
m. 978-764-4424