On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:54 AM, <bruce.lab...@autoliv.com> wrote:

> Any good memory tracking tools?  I have used valgrind but not gained much
> insight.  Must be operator error...

I was reading a discussion on Slashdot recently.  Most posts said Purify
($$$) was the best option out there.  Lots of OSS options, including
valgrind, were mentioned.

> I notice that there is no swap listed.  Umm, how does one add swap to a
> nfs based system?

NFS swap of course ;-)
I'm thinking this is a PS3?  Can you add firewire or usb storage?  usb 2.0
might be slower then ethernet.  NFS would probably be the same speed as
iSCSI with much less effort.

The general rule of thumb is your OS shouldn't be using swap.  Swap (&
exssive paging) is a sign of crisis and the kernel is trying to recover.
Sometimes it's faster to reboot then wait for the kernel to recover.

Of course this assumes RAM is inexpensive enough, you can add more RAM to
the motherboard, your apps don't consume all available RAM.  Swap provides a
safety net.

You're probably maxed on RAM already.