On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Thomas Charron<twaf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  There are SO many variables in the case of USB, you can't just
> blankey statement that USB doesn't come close to achieving it.

  s/USB/anything/

  In benchmarks I've seen, FireWire tends to do somewhat better than
USB, and eSATA is very significantly faster than both.

  I'm sure a fast disk with a good USB bridge on a good USB host
adapter with a good USB driver will out-perform a slow disk with bad
FireWire bridge/HA/driver.  I bet a USB hard disk is faster than a
SCSI floppy drive.  Apples-to-apples, USB isn't the fastest you can
go.  But if it's all you got... USB that you have is faster than eSATA
that you don't have.

  But all this doesn't help the OP at all.  The OP should benchmark
the performance of what he's got.  It doesn't really matter if X could
be faster if his particular X is slow.

-- Ben