I've always felt that at a minimum servers deserve real names.  The first
naming convention I saw was on my first Unix account, SunOS boxes in CS at
University of Hartford, named after movie computers (hal, skynet). At a
previous job, we had HP-UX servers named after characters in Johnny Quest
(race, bandit, hadji, etc) and Sun servers named after 70s/80s detective
show characters (columbo, baretta, mannix, magnum). I've seen planets,
stars, constellations, and Greek or Roman gods used a lot.

>  At a previous job, we used Simpsons characters.  I remember the
> nameservers were ITCHY and SCRATCHY, and the firewall was WIGGUM.  One
> benefit to using visual source material is you can print images of the
> characters and tape them to the machines.  :)

When I worked at DSL.net, we named all of our servers after beer or
breweries. The benefit of that source material is you can steam the labels
off of bottles and put the labels on the servers (well that, and we had a
rule for awhile that we couldn't use a name if someone in the group hadn't
had the beer). We had machines like ottercreek, chimay, bud, fosters,
tooheys, papercity (a printer), oldnick (the workstation of a guy named
Nick). My favorite was our backup server, although technically called
backup01, it had the beer label for Magic Hat's Blind Faith on it.

I still keep the tradition alive today. I have a number of Linux
infrastructure VMs named for Lovecraftian places (dunwich, arkham,
dreamlands)

-Shawn