On 04/08/2010 01:10 PM, Benjamin Scott wrote:
>    As Mark Komarinski already mentioned, it's always a very good idea
> to have generic service names for roles, and alias those names to the
> machines filling the role.

And, I've noticed that with the rise of virtualization the role names
are once again becoming sensible host names for single-purpose VM's.

Hardware can be more interestingly named.  I name mine after real-world
heroes: borlaug, librescu, stevens, kanzius, randi.  For me, it's easier
to remember that 'smtp' is on 'borlaug' than 'vm3'.  I use DNS to look
up my own less-used servers' IP's. But I'm not strongly left-brained, so
ymmv.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner