Ok granted I do work for HP, but...

The latest printer they gave to teleworkers is an OfficeJet 6500 which
is a home/SMB printer/scan/fax that sits on the desk.   It is wired or
wireless network.  CUPS and Win/Vista has no problem printing directly
to it, duplex and other 'printing profiles' (black only, photo, etc).
And xsane works just great with it as well.  No config hacking
required.

-marc

Marc Nozell (m...@nozell.com) http://www.nozell.com/blog