On 12/16/2010 11:11 AM, Benjamin Scott wrote:
> Conversely, this makes the ink cartridges much more expensive.
>    I like designs that use ink tanks but also have easily-replaceable
> print heads.  I know I've seen Canon printers with that design.

The consumer-grade printers are moving towards a business model similar
to cell phones: discount the initial purchase then make up the sunk cost
with recurring revenues on replaceable inks and printheads.

>    But ultimately, I hate ink jets for anything other than photo
> printing.  It doesn't help that most ink jet printers on the market
> are incredibly cheap crap.

Slightly less crappy are the business-class machines. I'm on my second
HP OfficeJet. Initial cost is higher, but the machines seem to last a
long time (first one lasted 5 years), and the costs of replacement
(time, aggravation, hours lost) are more expensive to me, on deadline
(when else would it fail?), than the initial payout. Combine that with
XL "extended life" cartridges - half-full instead of quarter-full, I
suspect - and the costs are still a little higher than lasers, but
reasonable for low-volume use. Big-box office stores have discounts,
rebates, trade-ins, and "ink club" programs to less the pain. The 8500
Pro Premier a909n (there are many models of the 8500, with varied
features, distinguished by added names, "Pro" "Premier" "Whizbang"
"Wireless" et cetera) has duplex printing, second tray, networking
(JetDirect), scanning, faxing, memory card reader and good Open Source
HPLIP software support.

For low-volume work, I find it ideal. And, hard as it is to believe in
this day and age, clients are still impressed with color mockups!

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche&  Associates, LLC