On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Steven W. Orr <ste...@syslang.net> wrote:
> I have this horrible spreadsheet that needs to be accessed by lots of people
> from all over the galaxy. Adding entries to the spreadsheet is painful because
> it's manual.
>
> What I'd like to do is to use a command line interface to add entries to cells
> instead of having to use Excel. Does such a beast exist?
>
> I'm thinking of some sort of a command that either takes command args or a
> configuration file to accomplish what I want. For example:

Some possible approaches:

1. Look into OpenOffice macros to achieve this. For example, I used
this recipe in a Makefile to use OO to convert an RTF into MS Word. It
calls a macro that I defined and stored in "BriansLibrary":

%.doc: %.rtf
    soffice -invisible
"macro:///BriansLibrary.Conversion.ConvertRtfToWord(`pwd`/$<)"

You may be able to do something similar with oocalc macros. If you
really need MS Excel, I'm not sure you can compatibly store macros in
it and still port between oocalc and Excel.

2. Back when I had a windows box I used a combination of
python+win32com to access Word files. You could do something similar
-- with just about any language (VB, python, etc). An ancient example
that I once used to change Word document titles:
http://bstpierre.org/Projects/msword.py