> If you want to stay invisible and you're willing to run from the
> windows command line, see
>
> http://code.activestate.com/recipes/573471-update-stock-quote-using-yahoo-finance-web-service/
> for an example of manipulating Excel spreadsheets using python and
> win32com.

Your file sounds like a Release Eng. nightmare ;)
Right now, python is my hammer for almost every nail.  I have had a lot of
success accessing/automating COM objects with python -and- *I* would
definitely look at the win32com as a possible solution here.

A couple things to consider:
1. There is a steep learning curve if you are not already familiar with
COM.  It can be frustrating getting a bunch of COM exceptions bubbled up
through traceback stack, with no real explanation as to what went wrong.
There are plenty of examples out on the interwebs, but be prepared to get
dirty.

2. All your users will have to install python and win32 extensions if they
don't already have them - which could require you to become a python
helpdesk at your company.  You could use py2exe to create a binary
distributable for windows, but again you run the risk of being tech-support
for your app on a bunch of different machines.

If it is truly a distributed document, I would probably go with the other
suggestions of Google Apps for the short term and work on a DB with a
web-interface as a more permanent solution (or maybe it's time to rethink
the build/delivery process).

-- Joel Burtram