On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Steven W. Orr <ste...@syslang.net> wrote:
> Right now, everyone is using Excel from windows to add their entries. I don't
> actually know if using anything else (OOO, gnumeric, etc,) would cause
> unintended ripples to the files.
>
> All the devel work that I deal with is done from linux, but I get there mostly
> (currently) using W7, putty and cygwin X server.

Tom's suggestion to move to a db backend with a web frontend is sound
advice, but will require upfront effort and buy-in from other
stakeholders to achieve.

If you want to stay invisible and you're willing to run from the
windows command line, see
http://code.activestate.com/recipes/573471-update-stock-quote-using-yahoo-finance-web-service/
for an example of manipulating Excel spreadsheets using python and
win32com.