Mark Komarinski <mkomarin...@wayga.org> writes:

> It's happened.
>
> My geek of a daughter (all of 8, with her own digital camera and my old
> laptop) asked to have her own website, which I assume means she wants to
> post pictures and write a blog.
>
> Now, now, stop what you're thinking.  I have no intention of this going
> to the outside world, and that means I need to set it up on my Debian
> server in the basement so she can do whatever she wants.  I need to have
> it local so I can monitor the content and who gets access to it, but I
> don't know what blogging software is out there that kids can easily
> understand and use.
>
> I imagine some of you have run into this in the past.  What did you do?

My child isn't quite old enough for any of this (despite what pictures
of him with my NanoNote would seem to indicate...), so this is largely
conjectural, but(t) my first inclination would be to try PyBlosxom w/ Markdown,
which is what I gave to my non-tech wife to use for blogging: it's basically
a smooth transition from `writing text in files' to `writing a weblog'--
the only real difference between the two is that she synchs her `weblog files'
up the the server with unison-gtk.

Of course, the other reason (maybe the real reason...) that I gave her
PyBlosxom to work with is the `Suzuki method of blog education':
I use it myself, so I'm well-equipped to address whatever questions
she has--even ones to which I don't yet know the answer, because
there's a basis for an honest investigative dialogue.