You could just use basic Office online for free.
https://www.office.com/start/default.aspx

-----Original Message-----
From: gnhlug-discuss-boun...@mail.gnhlug.org
[mailto:gnhlug-discuss-boun...@mail.gnhlug.org] On Behalf Of David Rysdam
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2014 14:21
To: Tom Buskey; Patrick Flaherty
Cc: GNHLUG
Subject: Re: how dumb is this idea?

Tom Buskey <t...@buskey.name> writes:
> Or, even easier, portable Libre Office running on Windows.  Then the
> data files are always Libre Office format on a USB drive.  Edit on
> Linux, edit on Windows, always running Libre Office.
>
> http://portableapps.com/apps/office/libreoffice_portable/  I'd suggest
> doing this in any event.

Reading these links, I realized that this isn't going to work, at least not
with the cheap-o 128 GB drives. These things are pretty slow. I probably want a
smaller, USB 3.0 drive.

> However, I bet the school is teaching *PowerPoint*, not presentation
> software.  In which case the student is expected to provide a
> powerpoint that works on the school's system.  If that is the case,
> you should work out with the teacher how to do things at home.  Maybe
> LibreOffice on a thumb drive is ok.

In the computer class, they probably are teaching particular apps but I
*think* they always have time to work on them there in that case. For other
classes, they are usually handing in paper, well for the Word situations
anyway. I guess they must be displaying PPT on the computer, as you say.

I guess that makes the entire project moot. NM.