On 28 Jan 2004 10:56:33 -0500
Bruce Dawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think you're doing the right thing - then advertise the effort to
> the GNHLUG group. Sure, solicit help, (which you did), and it'll come
> if there's sufficient interest.

I think the issue rob is point out is that he did ask for help on the
list.  I think the only person other than me who responded was Randy out
in the pacific.  There is no mechanism for getting a few people together
and mulling over a project, honing the details, and assigning
responsibility to see it gets done.  Sure one person can do big things.
But if one person does a big thing on their own and manages to collect a
follower or two, who did it and why should anyone say GNHLUG did it?

Case in point.  The Tech Coordinators  organization for NH schools
(NHSTE) is having a four day workshop next month on the use of Linux in
schools.  Yes, that is a workshop that lasts four days, all day and
these educators are paying $550/person to attend.

http://www.kannoncom.com/nhsteweb/pd/linux_workshops

This seminar has some very interesting topics from the basics of
Linux to showing how to to develop and deploy Linux in a school setting.
The  presenter is a person from Maine with national recognition for
using Linux in a school. Is this something GNHLUG could help with, could
GNHLUG provide assistance to school tech coordinators in learn,
installing, and use Linux? Should the existence of GNHLUG be made
known at the workshop as a valuable local resource. I would think so. I
would hope so.  Now, just how is that done?  Do I as an individual have
the right to speak for GNHLUG? Do I dare do it alone and set up GNHLUG
for obligating itself to help educators in any way?  If I wanted to get
the OK from GNHLUG to inform workshop attendees of the resources
available in GNHLUG, whom do I ask, what authority to they have to act
or authorize? Without some way to follow through, I am not about to
risk setting up the attendees for disappointment and failure in dealing
with Linux and GNHLUG by bringing GNHLUG to their attention. So we are
losing a great opportunity, IMHO, due to the lack of some minimal level
of organization.  If the deal is GNHLUG provides a venue to sit around
and make snide comments about MSFT, fine.  I just think GNHLUG should be
more and should be a means of promoting Linux and helping those who want
to explore it.  I don't see it doing that  without some level
of organization.  Maybe what is needed is a different
organization.  Obviously you caught me on a roll today.

Ed Lawson