On Oct 28, 2007, at 20:27, Ben Scott wrote:

> On 10/27/07, Bill McGonigle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> FWIW, I did some searching on locations for Citizens ...
>
>   At some of the recent Org Meetings, the choice of bank has been
> discussed.  There was definite consensus for "avoid big banks".  The
> reasoning behind that decision was somewhat unscientific, but I think
> it can be accurately summarized as "big banks suck more".  Whether or
> not that is a good policy decision, I dunno.

I suppose it matters how it affects the LUG, and what purposes the
selection serves.  At previous -org meetings, we had decided that it
would be a good idea to have a bank such that the Treasurer position
could easily move around as folks' were available.  I see St. Mary's
bank has branches in the Manchester-Nashua corridor only.  So, that
limits the choice of potential future treasurers (assuming a
treasurer from Colebrook doesn't feel like driving to Manchester).

If there are substantive benefits for avoiding a bank with diverse
branch locations, then perhaps this is less important.  As usual, we
need requirements.  I don't know that there can be a small bank with
locations all over the state - a bit of an oxymoron... SFCU seems to
come close; they don't seem to have too much of presence north of Rt.
4 - we don't either... yet.

   http://www.servicecu.org/branches-nh-ma.asp

>   Since you've been using Citizens, care to comment on how
> good/bad/etc they are?

I haven't had any problems with the bank, so it's hard to say -
usually banks show their colors when there is a problem.  Recently we
had a snafu in this other -org where the Treasurer disappeared (ala
witness protection...) and they were helpful in re-establishing the
chain of ownership of the account.  I'm the President in that group,
so I don't usually do too much with the bank other than play pick-up
in these kinds of situations, but the Treasurer hasn't reported
problems.

>   If branch presence is all we care about, I suspect Bank of America
> would be the best choice.  They infest New England like mosquitoes in
> June.

Again, mostly south of Rt. 4.  And BoA is famous for acquiring banks
and laying off its programmers, shipping the jobs to India.  Lou
Dobbs burns their logo on-air once a week, so probably not the right
choice for a LUG.

-Bill

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/