On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Brice Gibson wrote:
> if I login to X with the web server admin account Netscape gives several
> errors about not having the proper permissions to write to the HD.

  Sounds like the web server admin account does not have the proper
permissions to write to the HD.  ;-)

  Okay, sorry for the sarcasm, but have you checked the permissions on things
like /tmp, $HOME, $HOME/.netscape, and so on?  Use "ls -l" to view them.  If
you don't know anything about Unix permissions, you might want to read this:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/gs/node5.html#SECTION005100000000000000000

> if I log into the console as the web server admin, I immediately get kicked
> out (error goes by to fast) I think it says something about the server
> acocunt's directory.....

  Could be permissions again.

  Have you checked the system logs (usually in /var/log)?

> As root I can create users, but when I use passwd, it says user does not
> exist.

  How did you create them?

  Check /etc/passwd (and /etc/shadow, if it exists) and make sure all the
information is correct, that account names and UID's match up, etc.

--
Ben Scott
[EMAIL PROTECTED]