In a message dated: Wed, 17 May 2000 14:13:55 EDT
Mike Bilow said:

>On 2000-05-17 at 09:16 -0400, Jeffry Smith wrote:
>
>> I haven't done this in Mandrake, but I do download .debs, run through
>> alien to make into .rpms, then install on Red Hat.  mainly because the
>> Debian site seems to be one of the best collections of open source
>> software around.
>
>So why not just run Debian in the first place? :)

Because the currently stable version is *vastly* outdated, and the
installation process is horrendous.  So, if you want a current system, you
have to go though great pains to upgrade it.  And if you're not veteran Linux
user who's used to dealing with poor documentation or installation processes,
you will quickly become lost (I've been running Linux for over 6 years, and
using Unix for over 10, and debian's install was too painful my lack of
patience!  and I have a pretty high pain threshold :)
--
Seeya,
Paul