On Mon, 22 May 2000, Randy Edwards wrote:

> I've go a question I was hoping someone could clue me in on.  I've got a
> basic idea what a charset is, but have never played with them to any
> extent.  While playing on the web a friend and I went to the site
> <http://www.radio.org.lv/> using GNU/Linux Netscape.  The site's page came

<flamebait>
GNU has nothing to do with Netscape.  It's put out by Netscape
Communications Corp., a subsidiary of AOL, as I understand it. As far as I
know, there's no version of Netscape that's specific to debian, which, as
far as I know, is the only Linux distribution which calls itself
GNU/Linux.  So I'm not sure what you mean.

And, yes, I can be at least as stubborn and self-righteous as Richard
Stallman, as most of the regulars here already know...  :)
</flamebait>

> up in all ???.  Strange, I thought.
>
> Viewing this on a Windows machine using Netscape the site came up just
> fine.  I noticed in the HTML source's header that the
> charset=windows-1257.  I'm assuming that's the problem why I can't see the
> page under Netscape.

I would look at the page to see if I can figure out how to view it, but
you didn't provide the URL.  :)

> My questions are: can someone smack me with a clue-bat and point me to some
> info on charsets in general?  Also, can someone explain to me exactly
> what's going on with Netscape and possibly how I can fix this so I can read
> the page (I've now got a definite desire to listen to Latvian radio!:-).

I'm not aware of any such links, but if you provide the URL, there's a
small chance I might be able to help you.

--
Derek Martin
System Administrator