Yesterday, Kurth Bemis gleaned this insight:

> how do i get my console to run at a higher resolution?  I saw it once on a
> list that i was a member of..but i can't seem top track down that mail
> right now?  I'm using redhack 6.0.  Any ideas?

It depends on wether or not you are using the frame buffer console.  If
_NOT_, boot with

  linux vga=ask

and you will get a bunch of options. After figuring out which one you
want, edit lilo.conf and add:

  vga=x

where x is the number of the mode you want.

If you are using the frame buffer console, see:

  /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/*

(but especially vesafb.txt in particular).

Good luck!