A few days ago I bought a LinkSys DSL/cable modem firewall router for my
home lan which is connected to Mediaone through a cable modem. I decided
to modify my system's setups to use DHCP. The LinkSys router acts as a
DHCP server and each system as it comes on-line queries the server and
gets both an IP address (in the 192.168.1.* range) and the DNS server
addresses for Mediaone.

However, when I tried to setup my Linux system, the system hung when it
tried to start sendmail and then hung again when it got to the Apache
httpd daemon. I waited for the services to timeout and once I was able to
login, I tried to start X which hung trying to get the host's IP address.
I was temporarily able to correct all of this by editing my /etc/hosts
file and adding the system's hostname and the IP address that the DHCP
server had given it (specifically 192.168.1.101). Somehow this doesn't
quite seem correct. I would expect X to get the IP address of the local
host by some other means than either DNS or the hosts file. Perhaps all of
these services should be using the localhost address?

Any ideas would be welcome,

-Alex

Wirth's Law: Software gets slower faster than Hardware gets faster!

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it
said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."   - Anonymous