I remember that I had some issues similar to this, but It was different
in my case. I run a mail server and webserver on a machine inside the
firewall. I port forward port 80 and port 25 to the internal server. I
had to add an entry to my /etc/hosts so that my internal machine
(192.168.10.10) had the same domain name as my firewall machine. This
fixed problems that I was having with qmail. I don't think that you need
to exactly do this, but you may need to add an entry to you /etc/hosts
for you internal machine to able to resolve itself.

JDF