At 03:06 PM 9/4/2000 -0400, Derek Martin wrote:

she's going to bring it over to my house and we're gonna try to get it
working.. :-)

~kurth

>Today, Kurth Bemis gleaned this insight:
>
> > she is one of my customers......so i can answer this.... :-)
>
>Meaning that you operate usaexpress.net I take it?
>
> > >  * Do you know what kind of authorization they use?
> >
> > either PAP or terminal based
>
>When you say either, what do you mean? I can think of two scenarios:
>
>1. authentication via PAP fails, fall back to plain text
>2. user logs in with username and password and gets a shell, but PAP
>    starts ppp.
>
>Which do you provide?
>
>In any case, it sounds like the PAP authentication is what's giving the
>trouble.  I'd recommend looking at the PPP howto and the pppd manpages for
>the relevant text on setting up the PAP secrets file.  This is usually
>/etc/ppp/pap-secrets.
>
>I haven't actually ever used pap-secrets, but I believe what you need to
>do is use the name option in /etc/ppp/options (or whatever your options
>file for this connection is) like this:
>
>   name <username>
>
>Then in pap-secrets, you'll have an entry that looks something like this:
>
>   *   <username>   <password>
>
>But that may not be correct, as it's been about 3 years since I've set up
>a PPP connection, and more like 5 since I've read the docs...  :)  You'll
>have to check the PPP howto or the pppd manpages for details.  But that's
>the gist of it.  Note that the asterisk is a wildcard meaning "all
>hosts" for that particular entry.
>

> > what about tail -f /var/log/messages | grep ppp
>
>Yeah you can certainly do that, but it really won't be necessary.  When
>pppd kicks off, it will spit out copious debugging messages (assuming you
>used the debug option in the options file), and not much else will be
>logged during the short time that pppd tries to establish its connection.
>
>You'd want to open up an xterm and tail the messages file as above, and
>then start pppd in whatever way you do it in a second xterm (maybe this is
>obvious)...
>
>If you get really stuck, and you're reasonably close by (to North Andover,
>MA), I might be persuaded to look at it some time this week, if I'm not
>swamped.
>
>Or if you want to give me a free acount so I can test it out... =8^)
>

>--
>You know that everytime I try to go where I really want to be,
>It's already where I am, cuz I'm already there...
>Derek D. Martin              |  Unix/Linux Geek
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kurth Bemis - Network/Systems Administrator, USAExpress.net/Ozone Computer

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.usaexpress.net/kurth
ICQ - 6624050
Call Sign - N1TYW
PGP key available - http://www.usaexpress.net/kurth/pgp

Fight Weak Encryption!  Donate your wasted CPU cycles to Distributed.net
(http://www.distributed.net)