> > Lots of !!!!!
> > The fact that email doesn't cost the USPS anything. If it doesn't cost
> > them anything they can't charge for it (re: their charter. This is why
> > postage always increments by 1/2c every year or so instead of 5c every few
> > years... they're not allowed to turn a profit like this).
>
> Be careful here. The Postal authorities, notably the Postmaster General,
> has been making noises about his "lost revenue" due to electronic mail and
> overnight services. The post office will be in the red this year - the
> first year in about 9 years of in-the-black operations. Various UN/WTO
> people have also made noise about customs duties lost by software
> downloads via internet. While this may be a hoax, that there are some
> government agencies that are studying the issue is not a hoax.

There was a court case several years ago now where the USPS succesfully
sued a company for using either UPS or Fedex to carry all of their mail
instead of just the "High Priority" type mail/packages. It seems that the
USPS has a charter (don't know if that's the right term) to carry the mail
of the people of the US.

Oh, I don't think that was a hoax, I think I heard that from NPR.

--
Rich Payne
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   www.alphalinux.org