On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:

> Benjamin Scott wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:
> > > Have more than one firewall script and run them often.
> > [...]
> > > Have your firewall scripts called from unmounted filesystems.
> >
> >   These particular items strike me as security-through-obscurity.  While it
> > might stop a naive script-kiddie with a very simple root kit, it won't stop
> > much more.  There are about a dozen ways I can think of off the top of my head
> > to neutralize both of these, and I'm far from an expert in such things.
>
> These particular examples are definitly security through obscurity. But
> there are two things to consider:
>
> 1) Security through Obscurity has it's place in any well-defined
> security model. It is by no means the best or most effective measure,
> but making things hard to find or even annoyingly hard to manuver is a
> first-tier deterant.

Like the Club.  A pro can easily get it off, but it takes more time... so
if there's another car just like yours a row or two up that doesn't have
one, (in theory) he'll go after that one instead, because it's easier.

--
We sometimes catch a window, a glimpse of what's beyond
Was it just imagination stringing us along?