"Derek D. Martin" wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:
>
> > I had this problem a few months ago. For about two months straight, my
> > cable modem went down three or four times a day for anywhere from 10
> > minutes to two hours. I called them every single time because they kept
> > telling me that there was no problem. Eventually they had to replace the
> > head-end because there were spontanious reboots for no reason. I haven't
> > had an outage in about 3 months now ;-)
>
> It's almost always the head-end.

I'll second (third?) that conclusion.

I've experienced intermittent outages for the past three to four months.
The more recent outages have lasted but a few minutes (i.e. well under
the amount of time it takes to get a "customer care" person on the
phone.)  This week has been pretty good actually.

During one of my longer outages I called and the droid insisted the
problem was on "my end" (sounds like @home!)  I called their bluff
and had them scramble a van.  A few days later when he showed up
he determined that my connections were fine; the problem was on
the head-end.  It (coincidentally) had been up for about as long
as I had my current DHCP lease.

The fellow they sent out seemed pretty knowledgable and he didn't
mind spending a few minutes talking to me.  He expressed frustration
as well about getting called out to places only to find no problems
at those endpoints.

He did admit that my head-end (wilmington-10) is known to be somewhat
cranky.

Fwiw my modem is a lancity device with a TP connection.  I've had it
since M1 first installed the service over three years ago.  Anyone
have any info on the RCA modems?

        -- Farrell