[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I've always wondered how this can work.  Isn't SNMP
> encapsulated in IP?

Nearly always in UDP/IP.

(but I've seen SNMP/IPX as well, as well as experimental SNMP/TCP/IP
stuff too.)

> If our modems are manipulable
> via SNMP doesn't that imply that they themselves have
> IP addrs distinct from our own?

Yes -- iff they are manipulated via standard SNMP.

> Can I ping my modem?

Maybe.  Does traceroute tell you anything interesting?

> Or have they been jiggered to only respond to SNMP
> traffic that's special in some way, like only appearing
> on the cable side, or only on some special frequency...?

Yes, they might have things setup this way.  To be honest, I never
read a lot of the DOCSYS specs, so I'm not entirely familiar with what
the official standard says.  And...there's likely a lot of legacy,
proprietary stuff going on on the other side of your cablemodem as
well, so I can't exactly say what is going on in that space.  Just
because they're a standard doesn't mean everybody is following it...

I've heard about enough misconfigurations of cablemodems so that
checking this out might be fruitful.  Or maybe not.  YMMV.

--kevin
--
Kevin D. Clark ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) |
Cetacean Networks, Inc.                            |   Give me a decent UNIX