It matters a lot if you have *both* a NIC connection and a PPP connection -
usually you only want the resolv.conf file modified according your your
*current* network connection.

The PPP development team has managed to skirt this issue for a long time.
Because this is a very thorny issue, I understand their reluctance to pick a
particular implementation.

--Bruce