In a message dated: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 20:58:28 EST
"Kenneth E. Lussier" said:

>Farrell Woods wrote:
>> Some versions of pppd support this hack actually.  Dunno about what
>> they ship in Mandrake...  Last time I looked (roughly three or so
>> years ago) there was a compile-time switch that turned it on.  Then
>> you'd put this into your /etc/ppp/options file:
>>
>> ms-dns
>
>Are you saying that if I put that switch in my CLIENT /etc/ppp/options
>file that the client machine will get the DNS servers assigned just like
>a Winblows box would? I may need to try this out then. I've been all
>through the ppp docs to figure out how to assign DNS servers to a Linux
>box.

It *appears* that the 'usepeerdns' setting is what you want:

        usepeerdns
              Ask the peer for up to 2 DNS server addresses.  The
              addresses  supplied by the peer (if any) are passed
              to the /etc/ppp/ip-up  script  in  the  environment
              variables  DNS1  and  DNS2.  In addition, pppd will
              create an /etc/ppp/resolv.conf file containing  one
              or  two  nameserver lines with the address(es) sup­
              plied by the peer.

I may be wrong, and have never used this option to ppp, having always elected
to hardcode my /etc/resolv.conf file myself.  Though this option seems to
offer a nice variable alternative :)
--
Seeya,
Paul