In a message dated: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 09:01:41 EST
Farrell Woods said:

>"Kenneth E. Lussier" wrote:
>>
>> OK, so I tried out this option. It works. Sort of. It gets the
>> nameservers from the ppp server, but if you already have a resolv.conf
>> file it overwrites the nameservers that are there and doesn't replace
>> them when you disconnect.

Isn't that the way DHCP works?  It overwrites /etc/resolv.conf everytime?

Why should it matter, for the most part, if you're not connected to the net
except when you dial up through PPP, then a resolv.conf file is for all
intents and purposes useless, right?  Unless you're running a local DNS server
within your network.  Of course, if that were the case, then with things the
way they are now, you would be unable to resolve internally when connected to
the net.

I see the over-writing as a feature, in a sense.  What if you have multiple
dial-up accounts.  You can dial up to any one of them and always get the
correct DNS entries.

--
Seeya,
Paul