Okay, so thanks to the list I am now using ppp as if nothing ever happened.
I am also now ip masquerading for both Ryan and my parents (yes, I'm VERY
temporarily living with them till I grad)...

 I got voice mail 2 years ago because everyone complained that they always got a
busy signal when I was on the net (i.e. 16/7), so they could at least leave a
message.  This was fine.  In Windows, the dialer never worked when I had
messages- when the dialtone "blinked."  This was great because not being able
to get on the net was the only thing that made me think to check my messages.

A few months after I had been using SuSE along with Windows, I did something
funky that made it so that in one of the OSs, it ignored the blinking dialtone.
 I *think* it might have been an option in SuSE?  It may have been in Windows,
I dunno.  But I could dial even when I had messages.

Anyway, now that my parents need to be on the net through my machine, they need
to be able to dial it when I'm not here.  So I'd like the dialer to ignore the
blinking dialtone when I have messages.  I want them to be able to have access,
but don't want them checking my phone messages all the time.  My isp dumps me
too often to rely on just dialing up before I leave.

Anyone know how to get the dialer to do this?  I know it's possible.

On the lighter side...  My parents are 67 and 65 and totally computer clueless.
 I've spent much of the last 4 days teaching them about Netscape, aim, email,
and basic Windows :/.  When I told my mother her net connection would go through
my modem, she said "Is that LEGAL?!?!?"  ROFL!

My dad's first site was Home  Depot to look up vinyl shutters.  My mother went
to Ty.com to find beanie babies and then to the Crocodile Hunter site from
Animal Planet.

Scary.  Very scary.

-Mjo