On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > This is one of the things where RPM seems to fall short. I can "install" a
> >  > source package, as SRPM, but it doesn't seem to get into the RPM data
> >  > base.
> >  > I can't uninstall it, query it, or use any of the management tools that
> >  > RPM has for binary packages.
> >
> >    How many of those apply, though?
> >
> >    Query?  You've got the spec file, which you are presumably interested in,
> >  since you're mucking around with the sources.  What are you going to query?
>
> One of the things I wanted to query, at first, was where RPM put the files.
> I can't see the spec file if I don't know where it is. Now I know where things
> are, but I am thinking of the newbies. I use the source more for reading,
> and studying, than for compiling.

If you're messing around with source code then you should at least make
yourself familiar with the basics of RPM works, or find the tarball. If
you're a newbie then why are you screwing with SRPMS anyway?

> >    You don't upgrade source packages.
>
> Actually, I do want to upgrade source packages. And, I want to do this without
> tarballs, having to go through steps to figure out where to cd to
> before untarring, etc. A newbie wouldn't know enough about tar to check
> this first.

Again, why would a newbie be screwing around with this? If they were that
new than again they should be familiar with the basics of RPM.

> >    Uninstall?  You don't uninstall user data.  If you don't want something
> >  anymore, you just delete it.
> I guess I am complaining as much that RH implies something by having
> source RPMs, then treating them as if they are just tarballs.

They are NOT just tarballs, and RH does not treat them as such. An RPM
include possibly a TAR file, patches to be appiled once the file has been
untarred, and the SPEC file that tells you/RPM how to build it.

Personally I would not, under any circumstances want RPM managing my
source packages. I usually have several copies of kernel source as well as
other packages hanging around, and I don't want to put up with RPM saying
"file /usr/src/linux/Makefile of package kernel-2.2.16.src.rpm conflicts
with file /usr/src/linux/Makefile of package kernel2.2.17".

--rdp

--
Rich Payne
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   www.alphalinux.org