On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Benjamin Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
..
> BACK TO YOUR PROBLEM
>
>   You need to find space below the 8 GB mark for your Linux boot partition.
>
>   If you have a program like Partition Magic or GNU parted, you can move the
> Windows partition up by 20 MB or so, and then create the boot partition below
> that.
>
>   Otherwise, you will have to delete your Windows partition -- this will
> DESTROY ALL DATA on that partition -- and recreate it with space before it.
> Then reinstall both OSes from scratch.

If one is handy with working from a linux boot floppy, another option
is to create a subdir on the Windoze C: drive (e.g. C:\LNX_BOOT) and
copy the necessary boot files down there (kernel, lilo boot.* files,
etc). Then modify lilo.conf to point at them and rerun lilo.

I admit this is a bit sloppy, but it works in a pinch.

Be aware if you ever defragment the C: drive (I personally never use
Windoze enough to do this...), you'll have to rerun lilo (because the
kernel + etc likely has moved). I've been told you can run ATTRIB.EXE
on these files to make them "system files" so they won't be moved by a
defragmenter.

This is far and away NOT the best solution, Ben covered those, but I
thought I'd mention this little BIOS-beating trick for who didn't know
about it. (e.g. it could buy you some time if you don't have partition
magic or cannot move the windows partition).

Happy T.G.,

Karl