Just got my new modem back working (it worked Sat, then quit connecting
properly).  Thanks to Ben, I tried the flow control.  I had to switch from
HW to SW flow control.  Unfortunately, US Robotics documentation consists
of a single large chart, with such great trouble-shooting directions as
"ensure DIP switches correctly set.  Switches 3,5, and 8 must be down."
Of course, they don't say WHAT switches 3, 5, or 8 (or, for that matter,
what any of the other switches) actually do.  However, they use the entire
other side of the chart to tell you how to install the software on your
Windows 95, 98, or NT machine.

I remember the first micro I used - it came with 6 feet of documentation,
including PC (as in printed circuit ;) layouts, BIOS listing, part #'s,
exact type of resister, IC, etc, on the boards, etc.  Now, we get to see
them spend a whole chart telling someone how to put a CD in a drive and
run setup.exe.  Sigh.  As Jerry Pournelle once said:  "You can never have
enough documentation."  Along with"  "More examples are always useful."

jeff

---
thought for the day:  Suffering alone exists, none who suffer;
The deed there is, but no doer thereof;
Nirvana is, but no one is seeking it;
The Path there is, but none who travel it.
                -- "Buddhist Symbolism", Symbols and Values