[Note: big apologies for all the spam, but this has been driving me
insane.]

Doh!  Looks like lpd causes its own DoS -- and this was reported a hair
shy of two years ago:

http://darwin.bio.uci.edu/~mcoogan/bugtraq/msg02990.html

-Ken (who is now quickly making sure that yp *is* running, and that no
      more jobs from root are in queue, and has wasted more paper in the
      past 10 minutes than he had in the past 12 hours.)