i'm not sure about the hardware kit from staples. Verizon's DSL uses PPoE
which is supported by Linux.  I recently helped a client with his DSL
system, and since his Laptop was pretty much DOA, I plugged in my laptop
into his DSL and it came up right away.

DSL comes in several different flavors:
What you are looking at is ADSL (assymetric) 640Kbps down/90Kbps up.

I don't know what Speedway is.

Ferenc Tamas Gyurcsan wrote:

> I'm facing a big decision, and I would need some information. So I might go i
> two directions:
>
> -DSL from Verizon (which means that I buy a PCI kit from Staples, which I bet
> is only for windows) or MV (which in turn uses Verizon AFAIK). This is a litt
> le
> more expensive than Speedway, but they give you static IP. I'm talking about
> the
> DSL in the 40-50$ pricerange. What I don't like is that for "non-normal usage
> "
> the price is TBD.
>
> -Or I could use Speedway. What kind of modem do I want, and what should I
> look out for? They have the two-way system here, when you use your cable in
> both directions. I don't really like that I have to apply for a static IP, an
> it might get denied. Can I still get external box? If yes, how should I get t
> hem
> install that one? Or is the internal one just as fine?
>
> Of course only Linux will connect to it, so if it turns out that it doesn't
> work with linux, I'm stuck.
>
> Thanks,
> --Ferenc

Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>