Benjamin Scott wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Ferenc Tamas Gyurcsan wrote:
> > -DSL from Verizon
>
>   I have yet to hear anything good about Verizon's DSL.
>
>   Come to think of it, I have yet to hear anything good about Verizon.
>
>   (Note: I work for one of their competitors, so I may be biased.)

Verizon broke a record in November of 2000. The removed more DSL lines
then they installed. This is due in part to the fact that there service
is horrible.

> > I don't really like that I have to apply for a static IP, and it might get
> > denied.
>
>   I have a friend who has their service.  They never signed up for a static
> IP.  They have had the same IP address for about a year now.  FWIW.

I have Mediaone (or AT&T, now), and I have supposedly have a dynamic IP
address. It hasn't changed in about 8 months, and the only reason that
it changed then was because they renumbered my intire segment. As long
as the box is up and running, it keeps the same address.

> > If yes, how should I get them install that one?
>
>   They don't support Linux (last I checked), so you should have a Windoze
> machine ready and waiting for their installer.  Once he is gone, you switch
> over to Linux.  I believe you just run a DHCP client and it just works.

Um, yeah... Just works.... Tell them that you want an external modem. If
they want to know why, tell them that you don't have any open slots in
your system for an internal card. The DHCP client that ships with your
distro of choice should be just fine (either dhcpcd or pump).

Kenny

--
Kenny Lussier
Systems Administrator