On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Ferenc Tamas Gyurcsan wrote:
> -DSL from Verizon

  I have yet to hear anything good about Verizon's DSL.

  Come to think of it, I have yet to hear anything good about Verizon.

  (Note: I work for one of their competitors, so I may be biased.)

> Or I could use Speedway.

  Someone asked what Speedway was.  It is the cable Internet access service
provided by New England Cablevision.  http://www.s-way.com

> What kind of modem do I want ...

  They can provide an external box that gives you an ethernet port.  That is
the one you want, even if you don't know what Linux is.  It is much easier to
trouble-shoot things with the external unit.

> I don't really like that I have to apply for a static IP, and it might get
> denied.

  I have a friend who has their service.  They never signed up for a static
IP.  They have had the same IP address for about a year now.  FWIW.

> If yes, how should I get them install that one?

  They don't support Linux (last I checked), so you should have a Windoze
machine ready and waiting for their installer.  Once he is gone, you switch
over to Linux.  I believe you just run a DHCP client and it just works.

> Or is the internal one just as fine?

  Same friend had the internal cable "modem" for awhile.  We tried to get it
working under Linux.  We failed.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Net Technologies, Inc. <http://www.ntisys.com>