Sorry for the long delay in this (cleaning out my mailbox a bit).

Does anyone have an estimate how many users a satellite based ISP such
as starband.com can support?

My initial reaction is that since basically the whole country/hemisphere
shares the same band (the distant satellite must reserve some band for its
communication), this can't scale to very many users doing true 2-way data
flow. Satellite TV is broadcast only, so it works well, but internet
service seems would seem to be limited.

Karl