In a message dated: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:58:54 EST
Rich Payne said:

>At one of the Linux shows I went to the IBM booth and said  what's the
>deal with MWave and Linux, are you going to code a driver or what? His
>response was that since IBM itself was slowly moving away from MWave
>alltogether that there would be little, if any work done on it.
>
>I don't know who the 3rd party is here....

The DSP chip is not IBM's.  They wrote the driver for it (MWave) under NDA
with whomever it belongs to.  They've released the driver source, but can't
release the DSP code itself.

Or something like that.  Jeff was explaining this to me yesterday, but he's
out of the office today, so he won't be able to expound upon this anytime
soon :)
--

Seeya,
Paul