I use Partition Magic frequently both to resize Windows as well as Linux
partititions. Most of the time I boot it from floppies, but occasionally I run
it from Windows, because the Windows. I have never had a problem
resizing or reformatting Windows and Linux partitions. I just got a new
machine here for my desktop. I was unable to install Windows 2000,
because the machine came with NT 4.0 but I did not have an NT license
key handy. I booted my handly Partition Magic 6.0 floppies, and very
nicely blew away the existing partitions and formatted one big partiton as
NTFS. Windows 2000 then installed easily.
Make sure you have that partition selected, then you should be able to
format.
Another recent war story. I recently got a 40GB drive for my Wife's
machine, but then decided to use it for myself and give my wife the 20
that was in my system. Partition Magic was used not only to create the
partitions, but also to copy the partitions. The only problem I had was
that LILO would not work. I booted my SuSE installation CD, selected
boot installed system, then ran LILO. Windows ME booted fine also (the
only thing I have used Windows for on both my dektop and Laptop was to
install Partition Magic. I use Linux for everything else.

On 14 Feb 2001, at 13:23, Stephen Ryan wrote:

> On 14 Feb, Dave hardy wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > Here's my piddly little situation:
> >
> > I installed a second hard drive on my home machine last summer and
> > have had RH6.2 on it since; however, due to work-at-home issues at our
> > house recently, I need to uninstall RH and recover the drive for
> > WinDoze apps, and then try out RH7 and some other Linux distros on
> > another machine that I just built from cannabalized parts.
> >
> > I managed to blow away LILO but am having trouble reformatting the

Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org