On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> Personally I'm concerned with the HP buyout because it might damage
> Compaq's Northeast operations and affect my future job prospects.In the
> Unix marketplace, I would hate to see Tru64 go by the wayside in favor of
> HP-UX.

Don't forget the one common "Unix" thread that all the big boys have:
Linux.  Heck; until this announcement, the lead story on HP's own web
site was a Bruce Perens/Linux piece.  (And, for that matter, there's still
a "highlight" Linux piece up there right now.)

Until this morning, I was convinced that IBM might some day buy VA Linux;
now I think that HP could be a real contender.

-Ken