In a message dated: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 12:29:01 PST
"Karl J. Runge" said:

>Some newbie questions if you don't mind...
>
>If you are running ext3 (or xfs) on a, say, 20GB partition, and you
>pull the power plug out and then back in, how much longer is the
>boot process over that of a clean boot?

Well, the boot process is as long as it takes to start all configured
services and mount all partitions.  If you don't need to fsck the
20GB partition, you won't notice a significant delay.  But if you
have to fsck, then there's a considerable speed-up, since with a jfs,
there's now waiting for fsck to finish.

The fsck induced delay gets to be more of an issue when you start
having 80, 160, 300, 500GB+ filesystems and you need to fsck :)

>Also, suppose, as an expt, I was untarring a big 100MB tarball when I
>pulled the plug.  Any notable plusses over the state of the file system
>after reboot vs. the same expt done on ext2 (and after ext2's fsck)?

Well, I wouldn't trust the extracted tarball hierarchy in either
case, but your recovery time would be far faster with a jfs than without.

Whether or not you use a jfs really comes down to whether or not you
want to, and whether or not you mind waiting for fsck at boot time.
--

Seeya,
Paul

                          God Bless America!

        ...we don't need to be perfect to be the best around,
                and we never stop trying to be better.
                       Tom Clancy, The Bear and The Dragon