In a message dated: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 19:35:37 EST
Benjamin Scott said:

>> If you're migrating from one fs to another, why would you be shrinking
>> anything?
>
>  1. Shrink old FS and LV by some amount.
>  2. Grow new LV and FS in the resulting free space.
>  3. Move some data from old FS to new FS.
>  4. Repeat.
>
>  Useful if you do not have enough disk space to simply copy one from the
>other.

Hmmm, I've never needed to do this, but obviously, as you and mwl
have pointed out, it's a handy thing to have in certain circumstaces.

>  That reminds me of people who say X11 is silly, because they have never
>"needed" to use one program from another machine on MS-Windows.  I find the
>limitations of the system in use tend to shape what one regards as one's
>"needs" quite a bit.  :-)

Well, this is a little different.  In my experiences, any time I've
had to migrate a file system, I've been moving an old fs to newly
acquired disk space which has always been larger than the space
currently occupied.  So I've always been able to perform a full copy.

What I don't understand though, is that say you had your file system
striped across several disks and needed to increase space.  If you're
using an LVM, why would you shrink anything?  Wouldn't you just add
the new disk(s) and extend the current file system?  Unless you can't
do that with Linux's LVM.  My only experience with doing this is with
NetApps and Auspex (though I thought Sun's ODS/Veritas allowed for
this as well, as did HP's Online JFS stuff, but I could be wrong).

>> Just give me an easy to install distro, leave it set to the defaults,
>> and let me configure it.

[Note:  the above comment was originally made with intended sarcasm]

>  I suspect, in all seriousness, the goals of "easy to install" and "let me
>configure it" conflict.

It shouldn't be though, just don't do things like alias commands and
set things up to "help" me.  Don't assume I don't know what I'm
doing, and configure things the way "they've traditionally been done".

For example, the defacto standard installation location of apache was
always /usr/local/apache.  RH changed that and scattered it all over
the place.  Just leave it alone.  I don't need/want your help.
If you, as the distribution vendor, feel the need to help, then offer
an Idiot's version of your distribution and charge more the "value"
add, and let us some what knowledgable people take care of ourselves
with the "raw" distribution.
--

Seeya,
Paul

                          God Bless America!

        ...we don't need to be perfect to be the best around,
                and we never stop trying to be better.
                       Tom Clancy, The Bear and The Dragon