In a message dated: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 18:17:34 EST
Benjamin Scott said:

>On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Paul Lussier wrote:
>> If you don't need to fsck the 20GB partition, you won't notice a
>> significant delay.  But if you have to fsck, then there's a considerable
>> speed-up, since with a jfs, there's now waiting for fsck to finish.

whoops, s/now/no/ :)

>  Clarification: You do not need to check-and-repair a journaling filesystem
>after a crash.  The system automatically replays the journal when you mount
>the filesystem.  You can still run a full check-and-repair on a journaling
>filesystem (and indeed, after a crash, you may have reason to).  Running
>that check-and-repair (i.e., with "fsck" or whatever) will take as long as
>it ever did.

Well, it should be a little faster, shouldn't it?

>  The reason I make an issue of this is that Red Hat 7.2's initscripts
>apparently give you the option of running e3fsck anyway.  I am told they
>give you a prompt with a 5-second timeout.  If the timeout expires, the
>filesystem is just mounted without checking, as normal for a journaling
>filesystem.  Apparently, some people got confused, and thought that meant
>they *had* to run e3fsck.

Ahh, leave it to the vendor to assume the user doesn't know what
they're doing, throw something in the way that's non-standard to
"help them along", and end up only confusing them and pissing them
off more :)

Just give me an easy to install distro, leave it set to the defaults,
and let me configure it.  Thanks!