geoff allsup wrote:

> If your host machine is on ethernet, and you can assign an IP for your
> guest OS, bridged networking is what you need.

The thing is that the network address assigned to the host
differs.  At home, eth0 will get a 192.168.*.* address; at
work it will get an address on my private LAN.  Anywhere
else and the address will come from dhcp; I cannot predict it.
This is much the same for the WaveLAN on eth1; in some
environments I can control the address, but not in others.
So I presume the same applies to the guest OS.

For accessing the host's filesystems, why does it need a
real interface anyway rather than lo?

> That guest OS power-on message for bridged networking is a
> bad sign though...

I'm pretty sure that's just because I set up VMware with
the WaveLAN (eth1) in, and the results I posted were taken
with it out and eth0 active.
--
#ken    P-)}