Quoting "Derek D. Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I think you need to get a grip.

  As should Ray, I suppose, eh?  8-)

> While I admit I could not resist the
> opportunity to get in a little parenthetical dig at my favorite
> company to hate at the end there (which was certainly not directed at
> the poster, but at Microsoft), the POINT of the message was
> potentially both useful and helpful.  I was pointing out that a
> potentially very large percentage of the intended audience of that
> e-mail might not have been able to read some important information
> that was contained in the attachment.  Since I'm one of the people who
> is unable to read MS-TNEF format, I had *NO IDEA* what was in it, and
> therefore whether or not it was relevant to the matter at hand.

  Umm, Derek, with all do respect, do you have *EVEN THE SLIGHTEST CLUE* as to
*WHAT* a TNEF attachment *IS*?  It's the RICH TEXT VERSION of the message.
Shesh, make comments about alot of things, but not a perfectly valid MIME
alternate presentation of the message..  You missed nothing, which is *WHY* the
attachment comes along the way it does..

> This is a *LINUX* mailing list.

  Which, ironically enough, has *NOTHING TO DO* with a mail client..

> By its very nature, many people who
> read these messages, and therefore who might be interested in the job
> posting mentioned, CAN NOT READ MS-TNEF.  Myself included, and I'm
> sure many others.

  And the TNEF file had nothing to do with it..  Open Mouth, Insert Foot, CHEW
TILL THIGH..

> As for your comment about my PGP signature: MS-TNEF is proprietary;
> OpenPGP is an open standard.

  Open has nothing to do with standard.  I'm simply pointing out that your pgp
file was as worthless to my mail client as his TNEF attachment was to yours.
And in both cases, everything was all fine and good..

> My PGP signature is also plain text
> inline, whereas MS-TNEF is undocumented binary rubbish.  Anyone who
> cares to find out what PGP is (assuming they don't already know) can
> make use of my PGP signature, pretty much regardless of what platform
> they're using; whereas ONLY people who use MS mailreaders can make use
> of MS-TNEF, as far as I am aware.

  And anyone who uses outlook might have a use for it..  And for the record,
you can very well read TNEF attachments if it really gets your goat.
http://www.fentun.com/linux.html

> What I did NOT know, until just now, is that the contents of this kind
> of attachment are not only impossible to read unless you're using a MS
> mailer, but also utterly useless under the same circumstances:

  And you stand incorrect.  The contents are good for other outlook and outlook
express users.  For crying out loud.  Talk about Linux.  Don't friggen bash
people becouse of their choice of desktop operating system MAIL CLIENTS.

  *Grabs stapler, beings to use it on toms lips, for fear of where it might
just bring him next*

---
Thomas Charron
<< Is beadarrach an ni an onair >>