On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
> Seriously, and to diverge a bit from this thread, this does *not* however
> mean that console access implies lack of physical security.

  Not always, but typically, it does.

> o Login as a normal non-root user on the console of Red Hat 7.2 system
> with the usermode package installed, which I think is the default for a
> Workstation install.

  Red Hat's take on this is that the user logged in at the console of a
personal workstation should have the right to shut it down.  I can see where
they are coming from, even if I don't quite agree.  Personally, I think they
should offer you the option of a more-hardened or less-hardened system
during install.  Mandrake does this.

> Yes, I did this and was caught totally of guard by it, as were many other
> people.  Or maybe it was 7.1, I'm not sure.

  Console-based security has been in there since 6.x something.  Look in
/etc/security/ for files with "console" in their name.  They also (re)set
permissions on device files, such that, e.g., the console user can access
the floppy drive.

> My theory is that you could conceivably lock a system in a safe-like
> enclosure under the floorboards of an employee's office with nothing but a
> keyboard, mouse, and video cables coming out and have reasonable physical
> security, but still give console access.

  Sure.  But how likely is that?  Remember, Red Hat is out to make money,
and they do that by targeting likely markets.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>