On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 01:36:39PM -0800, Karl J. Runge wrote:
> Boy, now I am really confused about what you are trying to accomplish...

Me too.  ;-)

> Yes, mail is a store and forward model, and so can originate from anywhere.
>
> Perhaps you can provide some simple examples of what you want to stop
> and what you want to let thru, so people who are not smtp gurus like me
> can understand what you are talking about.  Maybe not necessarily to
> help solve your problem... but at least to understand how the problem
> might apply to us.

  The point I was trying to make is that our ISP actually does provide
secondary MX service to some of its customers.  This means that anybody
needs to be allowed to relay through those machines to the domains they MX
for.  They don't need to be WIDE open, but they do need to allow relaying
to all of the ISPs secondary MX customers.
  That, I think, is the excuse he uses for running an open relay.  Bad excuse,
yes.  It apparently makes it easier for him to manage the mail exchangers.
Only the DNS config needs to be updated, not the MTA config.
  I guess what I'm trying to accomplish is two-fold: 1) How best to filter
email based on unsecured relays without pissing off the admins of secured
relays with relay-checks.  2) How to drive the dolts who insist on running
wide open relays off the net.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator