In a message dated: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 09:04:45 EST
Bayard Coolidge USG said:

>This morning, I had 54 new mail messages, 8 of which were spam.
>I was able to use a separate xterm window to cd into my 'inbox'
>directory, do an 'rm' of the offending messages, and then tell exmh to
>'rescan folder'.

I guess you're not aware of the Search->Pick method, huh?

        Go to "Search->All messages in current folder (Pick)"
        Select "Choose Pick Attribute" (Subject, From, To, Cc,ToCC, etc.)
        Enter in the regex you want to "pick" out of the FTOC.
        Click on Pick

You'll likely notice there's an "Or" button next to the attribute,
and an "--Or--" buttun *under* the attribute.

The one *next* to the attribute allows you to 'or' regexs *within*
that attribute, while the "--Or--" button underneath allows you to
'or' attributes.  IOW, if you choose "Subject" as your attribute to
search on, you can "pick" out Subject lines of 'This subject' "Or"
'that other subject'.

The "--Or--" button allows you to "pick" messages which match
'This Subject' and "--Or--" it with another attribute.  So you can
build up quite complex "or" statements like:

        Pick all messages with a Subject line containing:
                "Spam" or "Postmaster" or "Returned Mail"

                                --Or--

        with a From line matching:

                "plussier" or "pll" or "Paul Lussier"

                                --Or--

        with a To line matching

                "gnhlug@" or "gnhlug-org" or "twiki"

Assuming you need to "And" something, just pull down the
"Choose pick attribute" again:

        Pick all messages which match: