At 02:57 PM 3/11/2002 -0500, Ed Robbins wrote:
>Has anyone given a talk on Spam control?  I've been fighting it for several
>months now and I'm finally making some headway.  Of course, I run my own mail
>server so I have a lot more control over what I can do.  I started with
>access databases within sendmail and kept spam domains and email address into
>it.  After two months I'm up to over 1000 entries.  I've just started using
>dnsbl and it's great.  I'm also looking to add/write a Milter, for sendmail,
>to allow me to filter on subjects and either mark or discard them.  As
>frustrating as it has been, it's been a great learning experience.
>
>To give you an example of some numbers, my server is used by myself and maybe
>7 or 8 other people.  Last week, I caught 205 spam messages and trashed them.
> Given that I'm filtering about 1000 messages a month.  Keep in mind this is
>just filtering based on entries I reap from my personal email, if I had the
>other  7 or 8 feed me address and domains I'm sure I would catch a
>significantly higher amount.

You may want to contact Eric Johansson at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Eric is local and his knowledge is very high quality.

Eric is co-leading an open source project which if successful could
create a grassroots type of change to the email environment on
the internet.

Project nutshell: The project will create plug-ins for the existing
mail packages that will automate the creation of "hashcash-like"
electronic email stamps.  No real money is involved but the expense
of creating these valid "stamps" should prove to be a barrier to
most spamming.

Project name :  CamRam  - "Campaign for Real MAil"
                (a play on a British beer ad campaign for "Real Ale")

Website      :   www.camram.org

Status       :   Design complete, protoyping beginning
                 (probably in perl and python)

--
Jeff Kinz, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA. Email may contain words incorrectly
generated by Speech Recognition software. "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" copyright 1997-2002.