>I'm not aware of any such pre-existing can (though
>there probably is one), but you could fairly easily
>roll your own.

A bit of tedium I'm hoping to avoid.

>If I had a program that did this already, and it were called frob,
>what I would do would be to use it in a pipe, like this:
>
>  find dirname | frob | sed 's~^~http://servername~'

Yup, that's the sort of thing I want.

>Note that -print is the default action for find, and is
>never needed, except on some very old variants of Unix.

Don't be dang pedantic!  And note that the word I
used was "pedantic" and not the word which describes
the primary characteristic of certain local clergy...

>Note also that you can't use the typical '/' character as
>the separator in sed's switch because the string you're
>switching the beginning of the line to contains it.

The heck you can't!  Just escape it with backslash:

   sed -e 's/^/http:\/\/servername\//'

It's so cosmic that you said that right in the middle
of a discussion of how to generate escape sequences...

And you can, in fact, use ';' (as well as the other characters
you mentioned) most of which would result in a less cluttered
expression than that backslash-escaped approach of mine.